“To encourage academic excellence for all students in challenging and interactive programs that are supported by teachers, staff, students, parents, and the community.”
"A CHOICE, NOT AN ECHO"
The Roneagle, the emblem of McDonogh 35 Senior High School, is a most extraordinary bird. It is fashioned in solid iron and is the mightiest, swiftest and most resourceful of all winged creatures.
It takes four years to develop from an eagle to an adult Roneagle. The hard-core iron diet that is fed daily helps to develop the birds' power and character.
The Roneagle is presently seen perched in the legal, educational, medical, religious, and all other fields of community life throughout the world. It is known locally, nationally, and internationally.
Roneagles strength and wisdom the world will share.
Maroon and Gold the colors we proudly bear.
High thirty-five greater heights each day.
Your torch of knowledge will light the way.
McDonogh 35 you will always be.
The pride your sons and daughters bring to thee.
We hail thee,
Fair thirty-five, ever fair, even fairer.
Brave thirty-five, ever brave, even braver.
Thirty-five ever high, Thirty-five ever high.
High Thirty-five, ever high even higher!
Prior to 1917, during the era of segregated school systems in the Southern US, no public high school existed in New Orleans for African-American pupils. Those interested in pursuing an education beyond the eighth grade had to attend one of the city's three private secondary schools for blacks: Leland College, New Orleans University, or Straight College.
In 1917 a group of citizens met to petition the Orleans Parish School System to convert McDonogh 13 Boys' School from a white elementary school to a secondary educational facility for black pupils. The petition was granted and in the fall of 1917, McDonogh 35 became recognized as a four-year high school. McDonogh 35 remained the only public four-year high school for African Americans in Greater New Orleans area until the L. B. Landry transitioned from an elementary into a high school in 1942. Booker T. Washington also opened their doors in 1942 for African Americans.
Over the years, McDonogh 35 has changed its location four times. The original building at 655 South Rampart Street was destroyed when Hurricane Betsy struck New Orleans in 1965, and for the next four years the school was temporarily located in the former United States Federal Court House Building at 600 Camp Street. In 1969, students and faculty were moved into the school facility at 133 St. Ann Street that formerly housed McDonogh 41 Elementary School. In September 1972, the facility relocated to 1331 Kerlerec Street in the Tremé neighborbood. During the 1992-1993 school year, McDonogh 35 was recognized as a National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence by the United States Department of Education.
Currently, Mr. John Green serves as the principal of McDonogh 35. Previous principals include: Mr. Lionel W. Hoffman, Mr. O. C. W. Taylor, Mr. Lucien V. Alexis, Dr. Mack J. Spears, Mr. Clifford Francis, Mrs. Cynthia S. Caliste, Mrs. Kathy Augustine, Mrs. Gail Lazard, Ms. Kecia Wright, Mr. Philip White, Mrs. Delores Winfield, Mr. Gerald DeBose, and Mr. Tracy Guillory.